Important Note: International Scholars and Changes
Report any change in title to OISS prior to making the change itself. A discrepancy in appointment title could put the international scholar at risk of not maintaining legal immigration status. Please contact your OISS Advisor to report any changes.
A. Postgrad to Postdoc
#1: Postdoctoral appointees who were initially hired into the postgraduate rank only while awaiting completion of doctoral degree requirements…
- Update the academic appointment to postdoc in Workday by following Academic: Managing Appointments guide. Use Reason Code ‘Update Academic Appointment - Promotion - Promotion in Track.
- Change position in Workday to postdoc by following Change Job: In Track Promotion (Academic) guide.
#2: Appointees hired as true postgrads who eventually complete a doctoral degree and decide to remain at Yale as a postdoc…
- Treat as a new postdoctoral hire and follow steps of an Initial Appointment.
B. Postdoc to Associate Research Scientist (ARS)
- Visit Central Campus Faculty Affairs or YSM Faculty Affairs to determine which documents and requirements are necessary for the promotion.
- Create a job requisition for the ARS position. Do NOT create a Pre-Hire. Use the Hire Faculty Process guide.
- Move the appointee from the Training Track to the Research Track. Use the Change Job: Track Type Category (Academic) guide.
- End the postdoctoral academic appointment. Use the Academic: Managing Appointments guide.
- Add the new ARS academic appointment. Use the Academic: Managing Appointments guide.
PDA / PDF transitions
- Update the academic appointment in Workday by following Academic: Managing Appointments guide. Use Reason Code ‘Change of Appointment Details > Fellow/Associate Rank.’
- Change position title in Workday by following Change Job: Convert PDA to PDF guide.
- If switching from PDA to PDF, please send funding documentation to Postdoctoral Affairs.